Colon Hydrotherapy / Colonics
1) To begin, it is helpful to understand the working of the colon.
The colon, or large intestine, is a tubular organ approximately 5 1/2 to 6 feet in length and 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Although most absorption occurs in the small intestine, the ascending colon also absorbs some minerals, nutrients, and excess water from the digested residue of the food we have eaten. The contents of digestion (chyme) are moved along by mass muscular movements (peristalsis), which are initiated by the nerve supply to the colon. Toxins and waste materials are then discharged through the anus. The process of digestion and elimination normally takes between twelve and twenty-four hours. When the colon is healthy, we experience a feeling of well-being because we are assimilating and eliminating properly. To ensure a healthy colon, we have observed that sufficient water, good nerve tone, and the proper biochemical nutrients and intestinal flora are needed.
2) How do I know colon hydrotherapy will be useful for me?
Today’s diets consist in great part of refined, processed foods, high in saturated fats and low in fiber. We believe eating these foods, overeating, ignoring the call to eliminate, stress, allergies, and medications can contribute to poor colon health. The colon contains the largest concentration of bacteria in the body. Waste material allowed to stagnate alters the proportion of friendly bacteria to unfriendly bacteria, disrupting the balance of microorganisms essential to the health of the colon and the body in general. Symptoms such as constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating, headaches, migraines, skin problems, chronic pain, inflammation, or gastrointestinal pain may alert you to colon distress. In same severe cases, it may be necessary to consult a physician. We believe that colon hydrotherapy may be valuable in minimizing the effects of both dietary and environmental stresses and toxins that bombard us on a regular basis and can lead to immune system imbalances. That portion of the immune system residing in the intestine may rejuvenate once toxic waste materials are removed.
3) To alleviate anxiety it is helpful to familiarize yourself with the colon hydrotherapy procedure.
Colon hydrotherapy is the safe, gentle infusion of warm filtered water into and out of the rectum and large intestine using no chemicals or drugs. To begin, the therapist will suggest a trip to the restroom to empty the bladder. After disrobing from the waist down, you will lie comfortably on a warm padded massage table and be given a sheet to drape over yourself. At the foot of the table is the colon therapy unit that disburses the purified water. The therapist will gently insert a lubricated speculum approximately two inches into the rectum. There are two tubes extending from the outer part of the speculum to the unit. Pressure-regulated and multi-filtered water flows through one of the two tubes, the inflow tube, into the speculum infusing from there into the large intestine. The client releases immediately through the outflow tube through a closed system upon feeling full, allowing for a series of fill and release cycles. Waste material and water are expelled through the outflow tube directly into a special pipe that goes straight to the sewer line, leaving no odor behind. The hydrotherapist may use various massage techniques and pressure points in order to encourage the abdomen to release. To ensure safety, the tubes and speculum are disposable. The session is usually one hour, while the process itself takes 40 to 50 minutes.
Why Do People Receive Colon Hydrotherapy?
- Athletes have opted for colon hydrotherapy to improve metabolic efficiency, endurance and esthetically improve visual definition of abdominal muscles.
- Many receive the treatments during a period of lifestyle change or as a preventive measure.
- Many find it extremely helpful in weight loss and balancing metabolism when combined with healthy eating AND exercise. This is due to the increase in energy after the body releases so much toxic material and fecal weight. Nutrient absorption is also increased which supplies vital energy to all the cells.
- Another group elects to receive colon hydrotherapy after manifesting symptoms of intestinal distress: constipation (some from prescription drugs), indigestion, diarrhea, gas, bloat, hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, diverticulitis, colitis, parasites, skin conditions such as psoriasis, shingles, and eczema, inability to lose weight, and scar tissue and adhesions from surgery.
- Another group is pain motived: abdominal pain, continuous headaches and migraines, back or shoulder pain, aching joints, gout.
- A number of clients are immune-compromised with lupus, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis, cancer, chronic fatigue, Epstein-Barre, candida, infections, colds, or influenza.
- Colon hydrotherapy sessions are used for medical reasons: colonoscopy preps, pre- and post-surgery or barium x-ray, stool samples, and geriatric.
- Some come in during a fast, a cleansing program, a raw food diet, a liver and/or gallbladder flush, or recovering from an accident.
- Some are working on emotional issues that they feel are physiologically rooted in their intestines (solar plexus).